Tuesday, March 2, 2010

OMG this is back-breaking work

Tuesday, 3/2/2010: I am sore all over from working 2 shifts. Part of the problem is that I agreed to work two shifts almost back-to-back so that I could learn from the most experienced guy in the department. I worked 1-10 PM Sunday night and then turned around and came in at 5 AM Monday morning. Because I have such a hard time getting to sleep and require such a long wake-up routine in the morning that means I got approximately 3 and half hours of sleep between shifts.

The rest of my pain comes from sitting on the couch for five months and then doing a job that requires much lifting, pushing, pulling, walking, stooping, and more lifting. The job description that I signed says lifting up to 50 pounds. I don't believe anything I lifted was greater than 50 pounds but that certainly allows for some heavy shit.

And may I say that people buy way too many bananas? Keeping bananas stocked is going to be my downfall. Cases and cases of bananas...and more cases. The banana spot is the closest to the "back room" where all is stored. Whether this is by design I don't know but I am seriously grateful. On Sunday I stocked 10-12 cases of bananas and yet as I walked out the door at 10 the cases looked half empty. Good Christ stop buying all the fucking bananas!

Wednesday, 3/3/2010: Don't really have anything more to say about the job. I can only say that it amazes me that people do this for this kind of money. It makes me very sure that I will get moving on getting my fingerprinting done for my substitute teaching certificate. I don't know why I have been putting it off because I have wanted to substitute since I got back to Tucson. Just need to do it.

On a positive note, the physical demands of this job are good for me. If I can protect my lower back then the rest of the work will just be good for me. Right now I have to honestly say that I do not want to go back to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds back breaking to me, and the bananas would really drive me bananas. Get that fingerprinting done! Take care of yourself and pace yourself.

    ReplyDelete